Also called spaghetti balls. I got this recipe from my best friend Nadira more than 15 years ago and it’s unsurprisingly become a regular savoury during Ramadaan since it’s so quick and easy to make. It also store well in the freezer until you’re ready to use it so it’s something you can prepare in advance and fry when you have unexpected visitors.
It’s also an adaptable recipe. I’ve changed the protein a few times (used steak or tuna instead of chicken) and also added mixed veg to mixture. As long as you’re sure to include the cheese, it’ll remain little bites of moreish heavenly delight.
Look, this recipe won’t win any awards in health contests and it’s not the miracle cure for weight loss. What it is is comfort food. Pure and simple comfort food.
Helpful health hint: When you fry it, make sure you have companions around so that you don’t end up eating them all by yourself.
- 1 cup cubed chicken fillet
- 1 cup cubed potato
- 1 cup cooked spaghetti
- 1 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 tsp ground green chilli
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- ½ tsp cumin
- Salt and pepper
- Rub chicken with garlic, chilli, lemon, cumin, salt, and pepper. Cook potatoes and spaghetti while chicken marinates. Once potato and spaghetti are done, cook chicken.
- Next mix cooked chicken, potato, spaghetti and grated cheese together with a fork. Make sure it's all well combined. Shape into balls and place in fridge to cool before crumbing.
- Once balls are cooled, place into flour then dip into eggs before finally dipping into breadcrumbs.
- Fry in hot oil and serve immediately.
- Whatever you don't fry can be placed in freezer until you want to use it.