If you’re looking for something hearty and wholesome but meat-free or a delicious tangy, spicy side dish to your protein, then this is the curry for you.
The aubergine – or brinjil – provides a loves meatiness without your having to use actual meat. It’s the perfect meal for Meat Free Monday. Just double up the ingredients if you want to make it as a full meal rather than a side.
Here is a picture of the spices I used. A key flavourant here is tamarind. It adds a delicious tang to the curry. You can add a tablespoon of sugar to offset the sourness if you like but I prefer it without.
- 2 small aubergines
- 1 small onion
- 1 small tomato, grated
- 2 tsp tomato paste
- 1 tsp garlic paste
- half tsp ginger paste
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- quarter tsp turmeric
- heaped tsp tamarind paste
- 2 or 3 curry leaves
- fresh coriander for garnishing
- Butter or ghee for braising onion
- Dice aubergine into cubes and rinse.
- Meanwhile, sauté onion in butter or ghee.
- Once it's soft and golden, add in garlic and ginger paste and cook for a minute before adding tomato, tomato paste, tamarind and spices.
- Allow the spices to cook together and the tamarind to dissolve before adding the aubergine.
- Cook until the aubergine is soft but still firm.
- Serve with white rice, or as a side to a protein of your choice.