I don’t like going to a party empty-handed and I like to make something different every time I go somewhere so recently when my uncle invited us for a family day I was at a complete loss when it came to thinking about what to take along.
I had things in the house to make some tried and tested appetisers but I wasn’t satisfied with that and it seemed my kitchen muse had escaped me. I wasn’t feeling very creative and wanted to make something that wouldn’t take an age. I also knew I didn’t want to use meat.
At the grocery store that morning I bought spinach and feta cheese thinking I’d maybe make a vegetarian or something. When I got home I decided pinwheels would be nice and made a quick filling (recipe below) and rolling it into some pastry and a new crowd-pleaser was born.
I reckon you can use any veg stuffing you want. Roasted sweet peppers and a nice strong cheese would also make a good filling. Or a mushroom stuffing.
You can use store-bought ready-rolled puff pastry. I used what I had at home – my mom’s flaky butter pastry. #blessed (mock me for using a hashtag in a blog post)
It’s pretty easy to put together. Check out the recipe below. Try it and let me know what you think.
- 2 sheets puff pastry
- 1 medium onion, diced
- Half a green pepper, diced
- 1 clove garlic, crushed,
- 1 finely chopped chilli
- 1 bag of spinach, chopped
- Half a tub of feta cheese, crumbled
- butter or oil for braised
- Braise onion until soft and golden.
- Add the pepper and when it's just about cooked add in garlic, chilli, spinach and cook until spinach wilts. It shouldn't be wet.
- Add in crumbled feta (be sure to pat the wheels of feta dry between paper towel).
- Allow mixture to cool.
- Once it's cooled, divide the mixture in two and spread it over each sheet of pastry.
- Roll up and slice in about an inch in thickness.
- Place wheels on a baking sheet, brush with egg.
- Bake for between 20 and 25 minutes until the pastry is crisp and golden.
- You'll notice I didn't add salt to this recipe. The feta cheese itself is quite salty so you definitely don't need to add any in.