Thirty Things continues. Number 4 says: List 10 things you would tell your 16-year-old self, if you could.
1. You get into the university of your choice, so well done.
2. You meet some amazing people over the next 12 years. Some of them stay. Some of them don’t.
3. You’re far from the idealist you once were, but the idea of a fairytale ending (or a version thereof) still appeals. Don’t base your decisions on this ideal though.
4. Take more risks. Nothing that will get you killed, but don’t play it safe all the time. For example, wear your heart on your sleeve once or twice – as much as this scares you.
5. Be more assertive. It will help you later in life.
6. Being a grown-up is hard sometimes. Especially when it comes to handling finances.
7. The one you think is the one is not the one. Thank goodness.
8. You realise that being a perfectionist is not perfect. It can hold you back. Twelve years later you’re still trying to shake the tendencies towards this trait.
9. Health is important. Eat healthily (only indulge occasionally) and exercise regularly.
10. Try to be kind to people, but learn not to let them walk all over you. In other words, don’t be a pushover.