When the craving for chocolate hits, you have to do something about it. Yolo, and all that as the kids say.
Better yet, score brownie points with your friends, colleagues, kids, parents, or anyone you want to butter up, really.
These brownies are made with dark chocolate – doctors or scientists or someone said it was good for your heart – so you don’t have to feel too guilty about having one or two or 3 pieces of these.
The added texture of the bashed up mixed nuts and cranberries make it extra decadent. I bashed the nuts by pounding a rolling pin over it. These are so good for you they help you release frustrations and even get you to tone your arms. Really it’s a win all round.
You can have it as is or make it a touch sweeter by drizzling ganache and more cranberries like I do. I made my ganache using a hazelnut milk chocolate. The ganache topping takes it to that other place – the one Bono sings about in Beautiful Day.
Note: The batter should be thick; you shouldn’t be able to pour it as this brownie has a fudgy texture – softer than a cookie but not light like a cake.
It’s pretty easy to make. Here’s the recipe.
- 250g dark chocolate
- 125g butter
- 4 eggs
- 250ml sugar
- 250ml cake flour
- 5ml baking powder
- 60ml cocoa powder
- 60ml chopped nuts
- 60ml cranberries (+ more for topping)
- 200g slab of whole nut chocolate
- Enough cream for a spreadable ganache. Around 50-60ml
- Preheat oven to 180.
- Melt chocolate and butter over a double boiler or in microwave.
- While chocolate and butter mix is cooling, beat eggs and sugar until light and fluffy. The volume should increase.
- Add chocolate mix into egg and sugar mix and beat until well combined.
- Sift in flour, baking powder, and cocoa and use the mixer to bring all the ingredients together.
- The mixture should be thick and fudgy.
- Stir in chopped nuts.
- Bake for 25 min.
- Allow to cool before drizzling with melted chocolate and topping with cranberries.
- Melt chocolate and cream together in microwave for 15 seconds at a time until chocolate melts.
- Stir together until ganache forms.
- Spread over brownies and top with extra cranberries.