As the days get cooler, I prefer a heartier salad to accompany my proteins instead of having something leaf-based.
That’s why this broccoli salad was a great side to the roast chicken I cooked for dinner. It also is nice as a braai salad or it can be eaten on it’s own as a scrumptious work lunch or meat-free dinner option.
I added dried cranberries for a little tartness, but you can add raisins too if you’d like something a little sweeter in it. Or leave it our altogether. As I always say recipes are a guide and you can play around and adapt it to suit your own tastes.
- 1 head of broccoli, steamed and chopped
- 1 large carrot, pealed and grated
- half a red onion, diced
- 1/4 cup walnuts, crushed
- 1/4 cup dried cranberries
- 100g strong cheddar cheese cubed
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp white grape vinegar
- 2 tbsp sugar
- Steam broccoli and then chop into small pieces.
- Add steamed broccoli into bowl and mix with all other vegetables, nuts, and cheese.
- Whisk dressing ingredients together.
- Pour dressing over salad when serving.