Welcome to a new series called Grilled and Filled (with thanks to my Twitter pal Nicole for helping me come up with the name) dedicated to the humble and comforting go-to food: Grilled cheese sandwiches. In this series I will share my various versions of grilled cheese. Now, don’t get me wrong. There is NOTHING wrong with a classic grilled cheese but sometimes I feel like fancying it up and adding a few extras to make it even more special.
On Friday after work, I was kaput after a Thursday evening spent cooking for From my Friday Kitchen (more about this in another post) so the last thing I wanted to do was spend a lot of time in front of the stove. All I wanted after my shower was a grilled cheese before vegging out in front of the TV.
And it was so simple to put together these sandwiches for me and mom.
- Grated white cheddar cheese
- Sliced avocado
- Sliced tomato
- Sliced red onion
- Crumbled Feta cheese
- Finely chopped red chilli
- Olive oil
- Place the avocado slices on one side of the bread. Top the avocado with red chilli, feta and red onion.
- On the other slice place the grated cheese and a slice of tomato. Close the sandwich.
- Brush both the bread with olive oil and fry until golden brown and crisp.
- I served with fries, but this isn't always necessary.