Here’s a quick and easy grilled sandwich for you to try. I found lovely seeded brown rolls at my local Spar. I decided to keep it simple with chilli braised tuna, mushrooms, red pepper hummus and white gouda cheese. It made for a filling and wholesome Saturday supper.
The wonderful thing is, it was quite budget friendly. The rolls cost R2.50 each. I bought the tuna at a discounted rate from a different retailer. The only pricier items were the hummus and cheese. But you’re not using a whole tub of hummus or a whole block of cheese so those items will be used at other meals too.
Here’s the instagram video of how I put it together. The recipe can be found below.
- 2 seeded rolls
- 1 cup chilli braised tuna or 1 tin of chilli flavoured tuna
- 2 tablespoons red pepper hummus
- 10 button mushrooms, sliced and fried
- 1/4 cup grated white gouda cheese
- Divide the ingredients in half so that each roll gets an even amount of each component.
- Slice rolls in half. On the one half, spread hummus. Top hummus with mushrooms.
- Carefully pile the tuna on top of the muhrooms and top the tuna with grated cheese.
- Place the top half of the roll onto the filling.
- Your sandwiches are now ready to be placed in a sandwich press where it stays until the cheese melts.
- Note: You can also place sandwiches in the oven or toast on the stove top.